Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oh, sweet sleep

May you visit me largely uninterrupted tonight, and may you take away when you leave the itch in my throat, the ache in my back, and the stuffiness in my nose.

Otherwise, my new name will be SnotMonster. Which I assure you is every bit as bad as it sounds. But alas, I was able to get my miserable self moving today and accomplish some things. I stripped all of Pudgicus Maximus' diapers, the easy way. I washed them like usual, took them out, and put them on the top rack of the dishwasher. I ran it three times on hot with no soap. It works wonders, and uses no gross blue Dawn, or any phosphates or sudsy stuff for that matter, and far less water than stripping in the washing machine. Plus, I am too lazy to keep getting up and resetting the washer, so it gets bonus points for being slacker friendly.

Afterwards, I dyed more yarn. And let's just say the outcome was less than gorgeous. I will try again tomorrow, but if things don't drastically improve, I may very well have found the Thing I Genuinely Suck At.

One nice plus to dying that yarn is the tons and tons of vinegar in my kitchen. I spilled some vinegar solution on the floor and thought, BONUS! mop water :-) So I got both ugly yarn and really clean counters, cooktop and floor out of the deal. Next time I hope to get pretty yarn out of what essentially turned into a kitchen cleaning expedition, but hey, at least there is some silver lining, right?

After all of that, I dyed some wraps, but they are not finished yet. Pics tomorrow night, scout's honour. And then I made chicken soup, to chase away the germs.

Fuck You, Flu Chicken Soup

2 chicken breasts, with skin and bone
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, sliced thinnish
1/2 a small onion diced
1 bay leaf, 1 sprig of thyme, 1 sage leaf, small sprig of rosemary tied in a bouquet garni
2 quarts chicken stock
8 oz egg noodles

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and roast in oven at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until just cooked. Meanwhile, simmer chicken stock until reduced by 1/4. Add bouquet garni and vegetables to stock, simmer while removing chicken from bone, discarding skin. Dice roasted chicken and add to soup. Add egg noodles. Simmer til veggies are just soft and egg noodles are just cooked. Remove boquet garni and serve.

(This is a favourite kid food. I also put it in the food mill and feed it to Pudgicus. He loves it. It freezes well if you leave out the noodles, and then add them when you reheat)

1 comment:

  1. I love your recipes! They all seem so simple and doable, yet tasty and DH friendly (my DH is super picky!)

    ReplyDelete